CDKN and IPCC public outreach event on the key messages of the Fifth Assessment Report for Pakistan
Serena Hotel, Islambad, Pakistan
Monday 11th August 2014, 15:30 – 21:30
16:00 – 16.15 Keynote Address: Implications of IPCC’s Fifth Assessment Report for Sustainable Development in Pakistan by Dr. Adil Najam, Dean, Pardee School of Global, Boston University & Chairman Board of Governors, LEAD Pakistan
16.15 – 18.00 Major findings of IPCC’s Fifth Assessment Report for Pakistan
Session Chair: Ms. Khawar Mumtaz, Chairperson, National Commission for the Status of Women & Member, Board of Governors, LEAD Pakistan
Presentations by IPCC’s Fifth Assessment Report Authors:
- Dr. Edvin Aldrian: Lead Author, WGI, on Predictions of How Might Pakistan’s Climate Look in the Future?
- Dr. Koko Warner: Lead Author, WGII, on Implications of Pakistan’s Exposure and Vulnerability to Climate Change for Livelihoods & Poverty
- Dr. Mohsin Iqbal: Lead Author, WGII, on Measures to Ensure National Food Security in a Changing Climate
- Dr. Joyashree Roy: Lead Author, WGIII, on Emission Trends and Opportunities for Low Carbon Development
Interactive question and answer session with audience
18:15 – 19:30 HARD TALK: How Should Pakistan Respond to the IPCC’s Findings?
Session Chair: Mr. Ali Tauqeer Sheikh, Director Asia, CDKN & CEO, LEAD Pakistan
Moderated panel discussion and audience interaction with experts:
- Maj. Gen. Muhammad Saeed Aleem: Chairman, NDMA
- Dr. Kausar Abdullah: Professor, Foreman Christian College University
- Dr. Ghulam Rasul: Chief Meteorologist, PMD
- Dr. Akmal Hussain: Distinguished Professor of Economics, Forman Christian College University
- Dr. Amir Muhammed: Rector, FAST-NU
- Ms. Shehnaz Wazir Ali : Former MNA and Member, Board of Governors, LEAD Pakistan
- Dr. Qamar Zaman: Vice Chair, WMO & Senior Advisor Climate Change, LEAD Pakistan
- Implications of the IPCC’s findings for Pakistan’s position at the international climate negotiations?
- Where should leadership on climate compatible development in Pakistan come from?
- Opportunities for clean and efficient development through reduced emissions?
- How do we pay for climate action?
19:30 – 19:40 Closing Remarks by Ali Tauqeer Sheikh, Director Asia, CDKN & CEO, LEAD Pakistan
Please visit our website http://cdkn.org/ar5-toolkit/ for guides to the IPCC’s Fifth Assessment Report for South Asia and Africa, and many free infographics and image resources for journalists and communicators in these regions.
Downloads: IPCC_What’s in it for South Asia
Full report: http://cdkn.org/ar5-toolkit/
Post-event report: http://cdkn.org/2014/09/report-ipcc-ar5-what-it-means-for-a-stronger-and-more-inclusive-pakistan/ (Update)