With the theme “Sendai, Paris and Beyond: Addressing Challenges of Water Security for Sustainability“, APN’s Proposal Development Training Workshop (PDTW), covering the Temperate East Asia (TEA) region, will be held from 12 to 14 September 2018 in Tokyo, Japan. The training workshop is designed to enhance the capacity of young scientists and practitioners in the TEA region to develop competitive project proposals for funding.
Considering limited financial resources and the numbers that can be accommodated for an effective workshop, participants will be selected on a “first come, first served” basis. For this reason, we encourage those interested to submit their application before 5 August 2018, Sunday, 23:59:59 JST. Update: The closing date for applicants from Japan and Russian Federation has been extended to 8 August 2018, Wednesday.
A. Main Theme
The main topic of the present workshop will be: Sendai, Paris and Beyond: Addressing Challenges of Water Security for Sustainability
The workshop will focus on the following sub-themes under the main theme of water and sustainability:
- Flood Control
- Water quality and water availability
- Water resources management
- Water-Food-Energy (WFE) nexus
B. Structure of the Workshop
The training workshop will be for three days and will comprise of three main parts, which are as follows:
- Day 1: Introductory session and interactive lecture-based activities;
- Day 2: Group presentations and field visit; and
- Day 3: Hands-on group exercise on proposal review.
The PDTW is open to young scientists from the Temperate East Asia region and working in the area of water and sustainability in Temperate East Asia. For this reason, applicants requiring funding support will ONLY be accepted from those young scientists/practitioners who are living and working in the APN member countries of China, Japan, Mongolia, Republic of Korea or Russian Federation.
Young scientists/practitioners who wish to submit applications on a self-funded basis may do so and should be working in an area related to the topic and the focus should be Temperate East Asia, although he/she may be from any APN member or approved country.
D. Application Process
To apply to participate in the PDTW, follow these steps:
- Complete and submit the online application form for the PDTW through the APN website.
- Submit a letter of recommendation from your affiliated institution.
- Submit a short motivation essay.
- Submit your resume/CV (maximum 2 pages).
E. Eligibility and Procedures
- Young/early-career scientists/practitioners living and working in the APN member countries of China, Japan, Mongolia, Republic of Korea or Russian Federation that are 40 years of age or under can apply for the PDTW (research students/research assistants and post-docs are encouraged).
- He/she should be working in areas of, or have academic experience related to, the main topic of the workshop.
- He/she must be one of the following:
- An undergraduate degree holder with five years of related working experience;
- A postgraduate working towards a PhD or Master’s;
- A Master’s degree holder with two years of related working experience;
- A PhD degree holder;
- A postdoctoral student.
- He/she must currently be affiliated to an academic or national/regional research institution.
- He/she must have a good working knowledge of the English language.
- A letter of recommendation from the applicant’s affiliated institution and a motivation essay are required to be attached to the Application Form.
- Participants will be selected on a first come, first serve basis.
- Those who intend to apply on a self-funded basis can be within or outside the sub-region, but their intended work must focus on the Temperate East Asia region and the applicant must be from one of APN’s member/approved countries.
- A maximum of 25 young/early carrier scientists and practitioners will be selected for the training workshop. Based on the financial resources available, the APN will financially support 15 young/early-career scientists/practitioners.
- From each sub-regional member country (China, Japan, Republic of Korea, Mongolia and the Russian Federation), a minimum of two young/early career scientists/practitioners will be selected as recipients of APN financial support.
- Sponsorship for successful applicants will cover the cost of economy class air tickets, accommodation and daily subsistence allowances.
- Five to ten self-funded participants will be selected based on their expertise and motivation to join the workshop. Self-funded participants are expected to arrange and pay for their travel, meal costs and accommodation.
- There is no registration fee to participate in this workshop.
G. Application Deadline
For applicants who request full or partial funding support, the deadline is 5 August 2018, 23:59:59 JST. However, as applications will be treated on a first-come, first-served basis, early application is recommended. APN reserves the right to close the call when its application quota has been reached.
Update: The closing date for applicants from Japan and Russian Federation has been extended to 8 August 2018, Wednesday.
- During the workshop, breakfast and lunch will be served for all participants.
- Those who have previously participated in earlier PDTW training Workshops are not eligible to apply.