Promoting Sustainable Lifestyles
Ecological footprint is a measure of human demand on the Earth’s ecosystems. The challenge of coming up with new ways of supporting human life while keeping biodiversity, the ecosystems and our environment at a healthy balance takes work and collaboration.
This month’s theme of L. B. Brown Memorial Photo Contest is “Celebrating World Environment Day: Promoting Sustainable Lifestyles.” It aims to raise awareness about global environmental issues and promote calls for action on how we can sustainably use our resources and help make our planet a more habitable place for future generations.
Photo Contest Background
The United Nations Environment Program (UNEP) honors World Environment Day (WED) on June 5 every year. “Sustainable lifestyles,” being the theme of WED 2015, is a particularly powerful topic, as it urges us to evaluate our usual consumer habits – how we shop, eat and travel, among other things.
Creating more sustainable lifestyles to secure sustainable development for the future is crucial in times of global socio-economic and environmental change. “By 2050, if current consumption and production patterns remain the same and with a rising population expected to reach 9.6 billion, we will need three planets to sustain our way of life. Living well within planetary boundaries is the most promising strategy for ensuring a healthy future,” UNEP emphasizes.
In line with the WED, we are inviting photography enthusiasts from the Asia-Pacific region to submit photo entries depicting one of the following sub-themes: (1) Efforts and Initiatives toward Environmental Restoration; (2) Low Carbon Lifestyles; (3) Green Architecture and Infrastructures; and (4) Harmonious Relationship Between the Human Society and Ecosystems.
Raise awareness on the importance of reducing ecological footprint by sharing your stories through photos. Celebrate World Environment Day by inspiring everyone to become more conscious of our ecological impact!
Who can Submit?
- Amateur photographers, media practitioners and professional photographers are all welcomed to submit entries.
- APN project leaders and collaborators are especially encouraged to submit entries that are related to their project activities.
How to Submit?
- Register an account at: http://friends.apn-gcr.org.
- Go to “Forums”, and locate the forum where the monthly contest is held.
- Submit your photos (up to two entries per participant) by posting a reply under the master thread.
- Submit your photo entries, following procedure above, on or before 30 June 2015.
- Open to all nationals of APN member countries.
- Photographs must be originally taken by the entrant within 12 months before the date of submission.
- Each photograph must be between 3mb and 6mb in size.
- Each photograph must be accompanied by a caption, which should include a description of the photo, the name of the photographer, and the date and place taken.
Submitted entries will be assessed based on relevance to the theme, composition, creativity and technical matters (including captions). Two sets of evaluation will be considered:
- Evaluation by a panel of judges;
- Highest number of Likes on the APN Facebook page. Eligible photo entries will be collated in a folder and posted in APN Facebook page. A period of time will be allotted for audience voting (“liking”).
- A medal and a certificate in recognition of the awardee of the “L.B. Brown Memorial Award”.
- Monthly winners will receive a small token from the APN.