This month, the APN’s L. B. Brown Memorial Photo Contest takes the theme of “Cutting Our Carbon Footprint”, and we invite you to submit photos that tell stories, through your own lens, of action or activities that contribute to low or zero net greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions.
Photo Contest Background
Climate change is primarily caused by the increase of emitted GHGs from excessive burning of fossil fuels. It’s time to seriously think about the impacts of our energy-hungry lifestyles on our Earth’s health and well-being. While the concept of “carbon neutrality” has been adopted by an increasing number of companies and governments worldwide, dramatic emission reduction requires the effort and commitment of every individual by reducing and cancelling out our individual footprint or personal carbon emissions, right from our daily life.
Inspired by the global celebration of the Zero Emission Day on 21 September 2015, APN announces “Cutting Our Carbon Footprint” as the theme of our L. B. Brown Memorial Photo Contest for the month of September. We are inviting photography enthusiasts from the Asia-Pacific region to capture, in a creative and original manner, photos that relate to the month’s theme. Examples of submissions include (but are not limited to) those that depict compelling stories about:
- Low-carbon lifestyle or practices in the public and private sectors;
- Efforts towards carbon reduction by different sectors such as buildings, manufacturing, transport and waste management;
- Energy conservation, or carbon offsetting activities such as tree-planting and reforestation;
Dramatic emission reduction requires the effort and commitment of every individual by reducing and cancelling out our individual footprint or personal carbon emissions, right from our daily life!
Who Can Submit?
Amateur photographers, media practitioners and professional photographers are all welcome to submit entries.
APN project leaders and collaborators are especially encouraged to submit entries that are related to their project activities.
How to Submit?
- Register an account at: http://friends.apn-gcr.org.
- Go to “Forums”, and visit: Louis Brown Memorial Photo Contest 2015 > Call for Entries (September): Cutting Our Carbon Footprint
- Submit your photos (up to two entries per participant) by posting a reply under the master thread.
- Submit your photo entries, following the procedure above, on or before 30 September 2015.
- The competition is open to all nationals of APN member countries.
- Photographs must be originally taken by the entrant within 12 months before the date of submission.
- Each photograph must be between 3mb and 6mb in size.
- Each photograph must be accompanied by a caption, which should include a description of the photo, the name of the photographer, and the date and place taken.
Submitted entries will be assessed based on relevance to the theme, composition, creativity and technical matters (including captions). Two sets of evaluation will be considered:
- Evaluation by a panel of judges;
- Highest number of Likes on the APN Facebook page. Eligible photo entries will be collated in a folder and posted in APN Facebook page. A period of time will be allotted for audience voting (“liking”).
- A medal and a certificate in recognition of the awardee of the “L.B. Brown Memorial Award”.
- Monthly winners will receive a small token from the APN, and a grand winner of the L. B. Brown Memorial Award will be selected at the 21st IGM/SPG Meeting to be held in early 2016.
By submitting entries to the contest, you agree to licence your work under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International (CC BY-NC 4.0) license.