This month, the APN’s L. B. Brown Memorial Photo Contest takes the theme of “Sustainable Fisheries for a Sustainable Future”.
Photo Contest Background
Fisheries and aquaculture play an essential role in the livelihoods of millions of people around the world, which is particularly true for the Asia-Pacific region: according to FAO statistics, almost 70% of motorized fishing vessels are from Asia and eight out of the top ten fisheries producers in 2006 are in the Asia-Pacific region. Today, unfortunately, a host of issues are contributing to the escalating depletion of fish stocks, which include over-exploitation due to poor fisheries management, the prevalence of marine litter and widespread pollution, etc. To raise awareness of the importance of fisheries and the need to maintain sustainable fisheries management and practice, the World Fisheries Days is observed annually on 21 November throughout the world.
In line with the celebrations worldwide, APN’s L. B. Brown Memorial Photo Contest invites photography enthusiasts from the Asia-Pacific region to submit their photos under the theme “Sustainable Fisheries for a Sustainable Future”. Submissions can include, but are not limited to, photographs showing industrial or traditional/artisanal fisheries practices, fisheries’ role in supporting food security, fisheries and sustainable livelihood, etc.
Who Can Submit?
- Amateur photographers, media practitioners and professional photographers are all welcomed to submit entries.
- APN project leaders and collaborators are especially encouraged to submit entries that are related to their project activities.
How to Submit?
- Register an account at: http://friends.apn-gcr.org.
- Go to “Forum”, and locate the forum where the monthly contest is held.
- Submit your photos (up to two entries per participant) by posting a reply under the master thread.
- Submit your photo entries, following the procedure above, on or before 30 November 2015.
- The competition is open to all nationals of APN member countries.
- Photographs must be originally taken by the entrant and must not have been submitted under any other photo contests nor published on any publications.
- Each photograph must be between 3mb and 6mb in size.
- Each photograph must be accompanied by a caption, which should include a description of the photo, the name of the photographer, and the date and place taken.
Submitted entries will be assessed based on relevance to the theme, composition, creativity and technical matters (including captions). Two sets of evaluation will be considered:
- Evaluation by a panel of judges;
- Highest number of Likes on the APN Facebook page. Eligible photo entries will be collated in a folder and posted in APN Facebook page. A period of time will be allotted for audience voting (“liking”).
- A certificate in recognition of the awardee of the “L.B. Brown Memorial Award”.
- Monthly winners will receive a small token from the APN, and a grand winner of the L. B. Brown Memorial Award will be selected at the 21st IGM/SPG Meeting to be held in early 2016.
By submitting entries to the contest, you agree to licence your work under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International (CC BY-NC 4.0) license.