This month, the APN’s L. B. Brown Memorial Photo Contest takes the theme of “Mountain and People”.
Photo Contest Background
The United Nations General Assembly designated 11 December “International Mountain Day” to create awareness about the importance of mountains to life, to highlight the opportunities and constraints in mountain development and to build alliances that will bring positive change to mountain peoples and environments around the world.
Mountains provide human with various ecosystem services and socioeconomic benefits for people living within and outside of mountainous regions. Mountains are a crucial source of products and services such as water, hydroelectricity, timber, food, minerals, medicinal products, flood control and tourism. However, how to maintain the sustainable provision of such products and services, or in other words how to avoid degradation and conflicts caused by human activities, has increasingly come to the attention of the international community as the interaction between people and mountains intensified.
In line with the global celebration of the International Mountain Day, the APN L. B. Brown Memorial Photo Contest for December takes the theme of “Mountain and People”, and invites photographers to share photos that portray the interactions between mountains and people that contribute to sustainably managing mountains and the resources or products that they provide. Examples can include (but not limited to):
- Photos showing the socioeconomic, cultural, recreational, or spiritual importance of mountains to people, i.e. how people interact with mountains for these benefits;
- Photos showing changes of landscape, biodiversity, or land use in mountains that are caused by human activities;
- Photos showing traditional or innovative activities to conserve or sustainably utilise mountain resources and products.
Who Can Submit?
- Amateur photographers, media practitioners and professional photographers are all welcomed to submit entries.
- APN project leaders and collaborators are especially encouraged to submit entries that are related to their project activities.
How to Submit?
- Register an account at: http://friends.apn-gcr.org.
- Go to “Forum”, and locate the forum where the monthly contest is held.
- Submit your photos (up to two entries per participant) by posting a reply under the master thread.
- Submit your photo entries, following the procedure above, on or before 31 December 2015.
- The competition is open to all nationals of APN member countries.
- Photographs must be originally taken by the entrant and must not have been submitted under any other photo contests nor published on any publications.
- Each photograph must be between 3mb and 6mb in size.
- Each photograph must be accompanied by a caption, which should include a description of the photo, the name of the photographer, and the date and place taken.
Submitted entries will be assessed based on relevance to the theme, composition, creativity and technical matters (including captions). Two sets of evaluation will be considered:
- Evaluation by a panel of judges;
- Highest number of Likes on the APN Facebook page. Eligible photo entries will be collated in a folder and posted in APN Facebook page. A period of time will be allotted for audience voting (“liking”).
- A certificate in recognition of the awardee of the “L.B. Brown Memorial Award”.
- Monthly winners will receive a small token from the APN, and a grand winner of the L. B. Brown Memorial Award will be selected at the 21st IGM/SPG Meeting to be held in early 2016.
By submitting entries to the contest, you agree to licence your work under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International (CC BY-NC 4.0) license.