This month, the APN’s L. B. Brown Memorial Photo Contest takes the theme of “Water for Sustainability,” and we invite you to submit photos that tell water-related stories through your own lens.
Photo Contest Background
The Earth’s water cycle supports and affects every aspect of the earth’s climate and all forms of life. Although water covers over 71 percent of Earth’s surface, only three percent is fresh, and by some estimates, only one percent supports all life on land. Changes in the water cycle not only affect the climate system, resulting in more frequent and prolonged extreme climate events such as floods and droughts, but also pose direct threats to safe access to water, an issue that is already affecting hundreds of millions of people in the world today.
In line with the global celebration of the World Water Week 2015 (23-28 August), APN announces “Water for Sustainability” as the theme of its L. B. Brown Memorial Photo Contest for the month of August. We are inviting photography enthusiasts from the Asia-Pacific region to capture, in a creative and original manner, photos that relate to the month’s theme. Examples of submissions include (but are not limited to) those that depict compelling stories about:
- The life-supporting function of water and its provisioning role for human wellbeing.
- The connection between healthy ecosystems and water.
- Access to clean and safe water supply.
- Water and food security.
Submit your photo now at: Friends of the APN
Who Can Submit?
- Amateur photographers, media practitioners and professional photographers are all welcomed to submit entries.
- APN project leaders and collaborators are especially encouraged to submit entries that are related to their project activities.
How to Submit?
- Register an account at: at: http://friends.apn-gcr.org.
- Go to “Forums”, and visit: Louis Brown Memorial Photo Contest 2015 > Call for Entries (August): Water for Sustainability
- Submit your photos (up to two entries per participant) by posting a reply under the master thread.
- Submit your photo entries, following procedure above, on or before 31 August 2015.
- The competition is open to all nationals of APN member countries.
- Photographs must be originally taken by the entrant within 12 months before the date of submission.
- Each photograph must be between 3mb and 6mb in size.
- Each photograph must be accompanied by a caption, which should include a description of the photo, the name of the photographer, and the date and place taken.
Submitted entries will be assessed based on relevance to the theme, composition, creativity and technical matters (including captions). Two sets of evaluation will be considered:
- Evaluation by a panel of judges;
- Highest number of Likes on the APN Facebook page. Eligible photo entries will be collated in a folder and posted in APN Facebook page. A period of time will be allotted for audience voting (“liking”).
- A medal and a certificate in recognition of the awardee of the “L.B. Brown Memorial Award”.
- Monthly winners will receive a small token from the APN, and a grand winner of the L. B. Brown Memorial Award will be selected at the 21st IGM/SPG Meeting to be held in early 2016.