Themed “Benefits for Society from GEOSS Evolution toward Addressing Sustainable Development Goals”, the 7th GEOSS Asia-Pacific Symposium was held on 26-28 May 2014 at Kokusai Fashion Center (KFC) Hall in Tokyo, Japan. The symposium mainly focused on advancing the initiatives in the next 10 years of the Global Earth Observation System of Systems (GEOSS) and how GEOSS-derived outputs can contribute to achieving societal requirements such as the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
In the regional report session, the APN, represented by Ms. Taniya Koswatta, presented its recent activities related to GEOSS. Ms. Koswatta described the ten APN-funded projects which are in line with the objectives of GEOSS and implemented by various partners such as the Asian Water Cycle Initiative (AWCI). In this regard, the APN directly contributes to GEOSS in addressing common problems related to water resources in Asia.
The second day of the symposium comprised of five parallel sessions to report the progress and activities of the Asian Water Cycle Initiative (1), Asia-Pacific Biodiversity Observation Network (AP-BON) (2), Global Forest Observations Initiative (GFOI) (3), Ocean Observation and Society (4) and Agriculture and Food Security (5). Dr. Ghulam Rasul, APN project leader based in Pakistan Meteorological Department, presented some findings of the CAPaBLE-funded project (CBA2012-03NMY-Rasul) at the AWCI session while Dr. Eko Siswanto presented project outcomes of the ARCP-funded project (ARCP2012-21NSY-Siswanto) at the Asia-Pacific Biodiversity Observation Network session.
To know more about the list of APN-supported projects related to GEOSS:
- ARCP2013-11CMY-Yabe: GEOSS/Asian water Cycle Initiative/Water Cycle Integrator (GEOSS/AWCI/WCI)
- ARCP2011-02CMY-Koike: River Management System Development in Asia based on Data Integration and Analysis System (DIAS) under the GEOSS
- ARCP2011-05CMY-Bae: Climate Change Impact Assessment on the Asia-Pacific Water Resources under AWCI/GEOSS”
- ARCP2009-01CMY-Fukami: “Flood Risk Management Demonstration Project (phase 1) under the Asian Water Cycle Initiative for the Global Earth Observation System of Systems (FRM/AWCI/GEOSS)”
- 2007-02-CMY-Koike: International Integrated Water Data Access and Transfer in Asia (IIWaDATA) Project
- CBA2012-03NMY-Rasul: Impact of Climate Change on Glacier Melting and Water Cycle Variability in Asian River Basins
- CBA2011-16NSY-Li: Demonstration Study on Advancing Global Change Research Approaches Based on Inter-Agency Collaboration and Data Infrastructure of GENESI and GeoBrain
- CBA2011-02CMY-Kaihotsu: Drought Monitoring System Development by Integrating In-Situ Data, Satellite Data and Numerical Model Output
- CBA2009-02CMY-Ishida: The Global Earth Observation System of Systems Asian Water Cycle Initiative Observation Convergence and Data Integration (GEOSS/AWCI/OCDI)
- CBA2009-01CMY-Ailikun: The Capacity Building for Drought Monitoring and Studying in Monsoon Asia Under the Framework of Asian Water Cycle Initiative (AWCI)