On the occasion of its 18th Inter-Governmental Meeting (IGM) and Scientific Planning Group (SPG) Meeting, which is officially being hosted by the Ministry of the Environment, Japan at the ANA Crowne Plaza Hotel, Kobe Japan, the Asia-Pacific Network for Global Change Research (APN) will convene a “Networking & Poster Session” during this event, being held from 8 to 12 April, 2013.
The Networking & Poster Session will be held on Wednesday 10 April 2013 and will provide young scientists with an opportunity to display and present their research work to invited esteemed members of the scientific and policy communities from within and outside the Asia-Pacific region.
Posters will be judged by the APN’s government-appointed national Focal Points of 22 member countries with assistance from their national SPG Members. The winning poster will have the opportunity to present a 20-minute PowerPoint presentation to the 18th IGM/SPG Meeting on Friday 12 April, 2013.
Scientist Eligibility Criteria
- Scientists must be young, early-career researchers (preferably under 40) currently based in Japan (research students and postdocs encouraged).
- Scientists must submit, preferably in the PDF submission form  provided, a 300-word abstract, to Dr. Linda Anne Stevenson at firstname.lastname@example.org with a carbon copy to Taniya Koswatta email@example.com by 3 March 2013 midnight, Japanese Standard Time (JST).
- Research must be original, and address issues of global environmental change (refer to Abstract Submissions below).
- Scientists must be available to present their posters in the afternoon of Wednesday 10 April 2013 at the ANA Crowne Plaza Hotel, Kobe, Japan.
- Abstracts must be in the English language and include a concise introduction describing the purpose of the poster, as well as a brief description of the research subject, methodology, results and conclusions. If appropriate, results can be presented in tabular form. Abstracts may NOT include graphs, diagrams or photographs. Scientists are encouraged to seek assistance from their advisers and others in preparing their abstracts and posters.
- Abstracts must be received by Sunday 3 March 2013, midnight JST to be considered. Only electronic submissions in the correct format and sent to Dr. Linda Anne Stevenson at firstname.lastname@example.org with a carbon copy to Taniya Koswatta email@example.com will be accepted.
- Abstracts will be reviewed by a sub-committee selected from the APN membership. Main criteria include:
- Originality of research;
- Conciseness of written abstract;
- Clarity of methodology;
- Organization of the information; and
- Scientific merit.
- Successful Applicants will be informed by Friday 08 March 2013 (although the process may be later depending on the number of abstracts received).
- Abstracts will be accepted in one of the following scientific areas under global environmental change:
- Climate Change and Climate Variability
- Ecosystems, Biodiversity and Land Use
- Changes in Atmospheric, Terrestrial and Marine Domains
- Use of Resources and Pathways for Sustainable Development