The first WCRP-CORDEX science and training workshop in Southeast Asia will be held on 17-20 November 2014 in BMKG Training Center, Citeko Bogor, Indonesia. The workshop is jointly supported and organised by APN through ARCP2013-15NMY-Manton, the Indonesian Agency for Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics (BMKG), World Climate Research Programme (WCRP), Monsoon Asia Integrated Regional Study (MAIRS), Institute of Atmospheric Physics of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (IAP-CAS) and the National University of Malaysia (UKM).
The four-day event includes a training workshop on the first and second day and a scientific workshop on the third and fourth day. The training workshop is targeted for participants such as young scientists in the region who conduct research in regional climate downscaling and climate change impact assessment. The scientific workshop, on the other hand, solicits papers for oral presentation from scientists within and outside the region. For both workshops, topics of research should fall under the following thematic areas:
- Evaluation of climate simulations in Southeast Asia region from multiple climate models (seasonal and intra-seasonal variability, typhoon and tropical cyclone, ENSO, drought, heat wave etc.);
- Assessment of downscaling techniques and their products in Southeast Asia to understand uncertainties accompanying the regional climate projections and to determine the utility of climate model results;
- Meeting the requests of end-users (hydrology, agriculture, water resources, land cover and ecosystem etc.) on downscaled products, with definition of data types, formats and resolutions, for vulnerability, impacts and adaptation analysis; and
- Training on RCMs modelling, data analysis and applications for young scientists from Southeast Asia.
Other Selection Criteria
The selection will be based on a range of criteria, including expertise, scientific, geographical and gender balance, and constraints such as the budget and space limitation for the format of the workshop and the venue. For the training workshop, priority is given to young scientists from the Southeast Asia region.
Application and registration starts: 20 August 2014
Deadline for workshop application and registration: 1 October 2014
Confirmation of participation: 8 October 2014
Workshop: 17-20 November 2014
For further information, please visit the following links:
- WCRP-CORDEX science and training workshop: http://www.ukm.edu.my/seaclid-cordex/wcrp_cordexsea_bogor.html
- SEACLID CORDEX-Southeast Asia: http://www.ukm.edu.my/seaclid-cordex/