An Asia-Pacific region that is successfully addressing the challenges of global change and sustainability.
The mission of APN is to enable investigations of changes in the Earth’s life support systems and their implications for sustainable development in the Asia-Pacific region through support for research and science-based response strategies and measures, effective linkages between science and policy, and scientific capacity development. APN, therefore, supports investigations that will:
- Identify, explain, project and predict changes in the context of both natural and anthropogenic forcing;
- Assess potential regional and global vulnerability of natural and human systems; and
- Contribute, from the science perspective, to the development of policy options for appropriate responses to global change and sustainable development.
Goal 1. Supporting regional cooperation in global change research on issues particularly relevant to the region
Goal 2. Enhancing capabilities to participate in global change and sustainability research and support science-based decision-making
Goal 3. Strengthening appropriate interactions among scientists and policy makers, and providing scientific input to policy decision-making and scientific knowledge to the civil society and the public
Goal 4. Cooperating with other global change and sustainability networks and organizations
- Strengthen APN’s unique niche and shared ownership among members.
- Broaden APN’s financial base.
- Encourage participatory processes involving scientists and policy-makers to identify emerging issues and support decision-making.
- Ensure both high scientific quality and regional relevance.
- Provide opportunities for sharing knowledge and best practices.
- Recognise the special challenges of developing countries.
- Encourage stakeholder engagement throughout projects from design to implementation and evaluation.
- Emphasise interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary research.
- Communicate Network results broadly to scientific communities, policy makers and the general public.